dooit follows a lot of GR suggestions such as "UI first", not wasting too much time on a name, that less may be enough for 80% of the use cases, or that usage patterns may evolve as "just-as-good" replacements of features ("mm-dd" tags could for example enable calendar-like functionality).
I started the live experiment on Friday and finished the first iteration on Saturday. Below is a twitter log of the individual activities. I was using Trice as a Web framework, otherwise I would of course have spent much more time on generating forms and implementing AJAX handlers etc. So, the numbers only reflect the project-specific effort, but that's what I was interested in.
- (Fr 08:24) trying the "Getting Real" approach for a small RDF app
- (Fr 10:51) idea: a siiimple to-do list with taggable items
- (Fr 11:02) nailing down initial feature set: ~15mins: add, edit, tick off taggable to-do items
- (Fr 11:02) finding a silly product name: ~5mins: "dooit"
- (Fr 11:27) creating paper sketches: ~20mins (IIRC, done yesterday evening)
- (Fr 11:42) got unreal by first spending ~30mins on a logo
- (Fr 12:07) Setting up blank Trice instance and basic layout to help with HTML creation: ~25mins
- (Fr 13:52) first dooit HTML mock-up and CSS stylesheet: ~90mins
- (Fr 18:12) identifying RDF terms for the data structures: ~30min
- (Fr 18:13) gotta run. time spent so far for creating RDF from a submitted form: 20mins
- (Sa 14:40) continuing Getting Real live experiment
- (Sa 14:41) "URIs everywhere" is one of the main issues for agile development of rdf-based apps. Will try to auto-gen them directly from the forms..
- (Sa 19:04) rdf infrastructure work to auto-generate RDF from forms and to auto-fill forms from RDF: ~2h
- (Sa 19:07) functions to send form data to RDF store via SPARQL DELETE/INSERT calls: ~1h
- (Sa 19:09) replacing mockup template sections with SPARQL-generated snippets: ~1h (CRUD and filter-by-tag now in place, just ticking off items doesn't work yet)
- (Sa 20:09) implementing rest of initial feature set, tests, fine-tuning: ~1 h. done :)
- (Sa 20:14) Result of Getting Real experiment: http://semsol.org/dooit Got Real in ~